Sunday, September 21, 2008

Jesus loves YOU. And you, too.

I know, I know. Consistency isn't my strong point, which is why I'll probably never be the Ultimate Survivor. Or the Top Designer. Well, consistency, and the lack of actually applying. And hating bugs, as well as most things that dwell outdoors, like humidity and cold and whatnot. Whatever.

Since my last blog, I've been pretty busy with work, which I am not complaning about even a teeny tiny bit. But the real reason for my non-posting is because I'm so consumed with Aaron, and it's really weighing on me. He's having what could only be described as a difficult transition to kindergarten. In addition, the neighborhood politics of the 5-7 year old set are becoming more and more apparent to me. Unfortunately, Aaron obviously inherited my disdain for being political, so he's not earning any points for himself that way. Without going into too much detail, because I'll either sob or light my neighbor's house on fire, I can say without question that being the one bullied/ left out ('cause I've been there) isn't one tenth as bad as watching it happen to your own child. It bothers me that at 36 years old, my mood can be so affected by a 6 year old who doesn't even belong to me. It should come as no surprise that my issue is with the child of the man I don't think highly of that lives behind me, and that's as diplomatic as I can be right now. Bless his heart. I'm feeling not at all bad about Aaron dropping his pants and pooing on said neighbor's lawn a number of months ago. (Cross my heart, that happened.) At the time, Aaron was made to pick it up and apologize, but at this point, I might encourage him to bag it, set it on the front porch, and light it on fire.

I really need to grow up.

Anyhow, I'm trying to just get back into blogging, because it's like medicine for my head, so here's what Harper's been up to. It seems a shame to know my mind and heart is really preoccupied with Aaron right now, and still bring out a Harper story, but she's pretty much a living anecdote. Where Aaron is complex and intuitive, Harper is like a little butterfly landing on your nose at the most inappropriate moment, and the two of them together are what makes our family, well, family.

So, Harper is completely convinced that the world revolves around her, and any evidence she sees to the contrary she quickly yells into submission. Lately she's been nixing the nightey-nite song and asking to say "pears" instead. We have our conversation with God, which involves Harper telling God to be thankful for her. I started singing "Jesus Loves Me" to her, but Harper's version is taking entirely too long. I'll start "Jesus loves me..."
"And Harper."
"Oh, sorry. Jesus loves me and Harper..."
"And Daddy."
"Right. Jesus loves me and Harper and Daddy..."
"And Aaron. And Babe and Storm. And Nene and Miss Marilyn."
"Of course. Got it."
"And Eeyore and Kiki, and Kara and Miss Nancie. And Jake."

By the time I make it through this song, including all of the relevant characters in Harper's life, I'm pretty sure I could have just sung Don McClean's "American Pie". But it's nice to know that no matter what you might think, in Harper's world, Jesus loves us ALL. Maybe even the kid and dad who live behind us, although I remain unconvinced.

5 comments:

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

And a little child shall lead them, right? :) Harper is adorable.

I feel your pain about the bullying to some degree. Julian isn't being bullied, but he'll tell me that so-and-so doesn't want to be his friend anymore, and he'll be upset, and I want to go find the little snot-nose who upset my angel boy and pin his little ears to his head (figuratively speaking). It's a lot harder to see our kids struggle than for us to do it ourselves, for sure.

~AD said...

Oh, bullies. :( That makes my heart hurt just to read it. It's a shame that we ever have to subject our kids to the harsh realities of "the real world". Although I'd look the other way if any other poo incidents happened, myself. Can't fault you for that at all!

So, Peyton is just as convinced that the world revolves around her. Which is making the transition to big sister somewhat brutal for her, and explains why I'm sitting out on my front porch in 50 degree weather, reading your entire blog.

Do you mind if I follow along? ;)

--Amber/BlueBelle/TMK

~M said...

Ugh about the bullying. I've been there as the one being bullied. It really is hard when it's your own child :( On another note, Harper is too cute and getting so big!

Jolie said...

Hi from the 'chelles! Finally back online and able to track you down!

So so sorry to hear about the bullying and the tough transition to school. Poor wee Aaron, it is tough.

Harper makes me smile..

Jolie C xx

Jolie said...

Hi from the 'chelles! Finally back online and able to track you down!

So so sorry to hear about the bullying and the tough transition to school. Poor wee Aaron, it is tough.

Harper makes me smile..

JolieC xx